Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spartan Shape-Up, Day 238:

Evening, BlogLand... just a quick one tonight, as I'm tired (I just can't seem to catch up!), and CrossFit has big, heavy things in store for the morning...

Today's WOD was miraculous. I had my shoes on and was stepping onto the sidewalk at 6:15am. HOLY SHIT. (sorry.) I can't take all the credit for this one, though; My running buddy up the street agreed to run with me... but she had to be back at her house at 7am. And I needed 10 minutes to run TO her house. Up a big hill.

PS. It was REAL early.
... and still dark. (damn you, Daylight Savings!)

That said, once I pried myself out of bed - motivated by the fact that someone was waiting on me, and would notice if I wasn't there - the rest was pretty easy. Shoes on, not to many layers (it's a heat wave of 40 degrees at 615am!!), and out the door.

Running over to meet my buddy poses a wee bit of a challenge, as it involves quite the uphill hike, early in my run... BUT, I am pretty sure I was still mostly asleep anyway. I steadily trudged up the hill at a solid pace. I can't say I sprinted it, but I also didn't slow down, all the way to the top, and continued on, "recovering" on the move, rather than having to walk. Gold star, Me.

Our run was lovely. It is SO nice and refreshing to go with a buddy. Plus, it has made this "light" week of running (before the GT rolls out some sort of new hell) much more bearable. It is really nice to be able to chat with someone, and laugh about running up hills half asleep, or doing burpees on wet grass.

As dawn broke and the sun came up, I was turning for home, trotting past all the high school kids heading to school. They hadn't even started school yet, and I was finishing up my run for they day. BOOM. It was going to be a good day.
The run was nothing fancy, but 3.27 miles, around 35-40 minutes.

I am still feeling a little stiff and sore from the last few days activities, but I'm STFU and pushing through.

Fun sidenote: When I got home, my new toy had arrived a day early!!! I found a box with my 35# kettlebell sitting on my porch. Sadly, I missed the delivery of that one... I was really looking forward to seeing that delivered ("WTF did you BUY?").
I'm thinking my new KB will need a name, as I intend to bond with it, quite a bit. Hmm. Thoughts to ponder.

Having said that, it's time for bed.... tomorrow, we CrossFit!

No comments:

Post a Comment